Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Okay, I'm not blogging about blogging.

Today I woke up at 7:00 to go to Fort Nisqually at 8-ish. I went and helped out at the History Camp for the middle school children. It was a lot more fun than I thought it would be!

When I got there, the only activity left to sign up for was the skit on the 1849 skirmish, so I signed up for that, even though I had no idea what it was. We sang at the flagpole, did morning chores then the kids went on a tour and the volunteers went into the staff building to wait. My hands were still freezing from the ice water in the metal bucket, so I grabbed onto someone's cocoa cup : )

We must've waited for ages, and there wasn't much to do, so eventually we ended up throwing tomahawks. No I didn't throw them, I just watched ;) So the kids came around, we got rid of the hawks and had them all sit down. We talked about history for while and that was fun!

I think that was when the new flagpole came, or maybe it was when we had the kids playing a game, but we ended up doing mat weaving. We cut up these reeds and had the campers weave them. I kept all of the leftovers, so look out for a post about my creativity ; )

After that, we beaded necklaces (I got to make one!) and did archery. No I didn't shoot them, I just watched ; ) After that we ate lunch. Then the campers were throwing 'hawks and one kid fell into a bucket and hit his head. If you think about it, that's hard to do even if you try. It just one of those things, I guess. I ran all the way across the fort to get ice, but when I got back someone had already gotten some. I dunno how they got it so fast, but it ended up fine....

Okay...Then I think we did the skit. I was a Native American character, and I didn't do much except for fainting under the tree (apparently a long standing tradition) and run. I don't know who got to be Segeass, but they had a good time (he got to die).

Then we make Fry cakes, and then I went home. I would've done the dishes, but my family wanted me home : )
Here's a picture of another volunteer and I.We hung out together most of the day:
I know I'm not smiling and I look really dorky in that hat, but it was hot and it kept the sun off of my face.
See my necklace? See the dishes? See the dorky hat? Okay.

Fun day! I can't wait to go help on Thursday too!

I think that's all. I want to try out adding pictures, so I'm going to make another post.

1 comment:

MissNonaEleanor said...

Don't we look a-lovely! My hair's a mess! =P Yesturday was quite fun! Hope to see you tomorrow!